Mason Law missed out on adding any points to his championship chase this weekend at Brands Hatch in the National 1000cc Superstock Championship, when Lady Luck deserted him, but the Benfleet lad is upbeat and already looking ahead to Thruxton with optimism.

A race one crash saw his Stauff Connect Academy ZX-10RR buried in the Brands Hatch GP circuit trees, and from there it was always going to be an uphill task for the Outlaw and his GR Motosport Team. Brake problems in today’s race capped off a turbulent weekend for the 21-year-old, who maturely remains positive as he explained.

Mason Law
“Obviously a very disappointing end to what was looking like a very positive weekend. In fact, it was the most positive start to a race weekend I’ve had this year to be honest right from the off in free practice. Qualifying was good even though I need to work on certain areas, especially my one lap pace, but we did have a good race pace. The team worked hard to get a setting for me here at Brands Hatch GP, which is a circuit, if I’m honest, that I’ve never really looked forward to, as it never really clicked for me, until now.

I’ve found that certain areas of the track really suits my style on the ZX-10RR. I was having a lot of fun riding round when everything was good. I went into race one with a second row start and I felt confident as coming from a motocross background I’m quite a strong starter. Unfortunately at turn 5 at the end of the back straight I lost the front and had a 140mph crash. I found myself rolling through the gravel and and I was okay, but the bike took a hefty tumble into the trees.

We retrieved the back late last night [7pm Saturday] but thanks to the Brands Hatch staff who had to sort a hydraulic lifting machine to get the bike cut out. I’m extremely grateful to the team who in between times had started building me a completely new bike. We win together and we lose together and they are a very committed bunch as they proved.

We regrouped and got ready for today. In warm up I ended up sixth even though we had a small brake issue, but I put it down to possibly being a new bike and just needed bedding in. Unfortunately in the race, it hampered me in the end. I had to start thirty-sixth on the grid but got a good start and was picking riders off, but from turn 2, I knew there was something not quite right.

The lever was coming back to my knuckles and it was getting hard to stop. I was starting to run in hot in a lot of places. I had about five moments that scared me, so I had to make the decision to retire. It was game over, but we can be proud of where we are at and I’m already looking forward to Thruxton, which is a circuit I very much like. It’s one that suits me, so I can’t wait to get out there on the Staff Connect Academy ZX-10RR. Thanks as always to my crew: Danny, Mark, Ash and of course Geoff and Brent and my dad for their continued support.”